Consumer Protection Lawyers Makings Sure Companies Act Fairly and Honestly
Fighting for the rights of West Virginia consumers
Fair competition is at the heart of commercial sales. Businesses must be truthful when they deal with the buying public. Consumers have the right to hold companies who engage in unfair business practices accountable for false advertising, bait and switch tactics, and other deceptive practices. In this age of technical purchases, companies must make certain consumer accounts are secure and that the privacy of each buyer is protected. Collectors cannot abuse debtors when trying to collect a debt.
The West Virginia law firm of Paulson & Nace, PLLC, a family-owned and operated practice, knows the federal and state laws that protect consumers. We make sure businesses stop unwarranted marketing and sales efforts. We advise consumers and businesses on how to get compensation from businesses who violate the consumer protection and fair competition laws. We fight for each consumer who has suffered financial and personal harm because businesses did not play by the rules. If you were treated unfairly by a business, our team of consumer protection lawyers is ready to explain all of your consumer and personal remedies.
Consumer protection wrongs
Paulson & Nace assists clients in West Virginia with a broad spectrum of consumer protection and safety issues, including:
- False Advertising. Advertising is the main method businesses use to entice and persuade consumers to buy their products and services. Advertising cannot misrepresent the quality or type of product or service through misleading images, false packaging, or other deceptive practices. Ads must be easy to understand. Marketing cannot manipulate terms, make false claims – such as that it is chemical free when it is not – or include hidden charges. Paulson & Nace makes sure the product matches the messaging.
- Violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). This law requires that collections agencies explain that debtors have rights to be informed about debt and collection actions. It regulates improper conduct such as calling consumers in the middle of the night and calling consumers at work after the consumer has told the collector to stop. Our lawyers file FDCPA violations to make collectors pay for harassing debtors and violating their rights.
- Data Breaches. Today, many consumers buy products online. Almost every company that sells a product has a shopping cart, or some other means, for the purchase to be made through a computer, smartphone, or other computer device. Sellers have a duty to make sure your credit and personal information are safe. Purchases, email accounts, social media, and other platforms sellers use should be protected from hackers. Accounts should not be sold to third parties without the consent of the consumer. We hold violators accountable for the damages caused by these lapses in data security.
- Privacy Violations. As the world takes advantage of new technology– the next iPhone version, the newest app, cloud computing, and sending email attachments– the danger increases that information we want to keep private will be lost. Paulson & Nace explains your privacy rights, the laws that apply, and what actions you can take to enforce your privacy rights.
- Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practice Act Violations. The Federal Trade Commission Act and other laws protect consumers from companies who compete unfairly. Paulson & Nace protects consumers from deceptive guarantees, false advertising, renewing contracts without consumer consent, charging more than they advertise, and other competitive wrongs.
- Food and Supplement False Labeling. Many sellers of dietary supplements claim that their products will cure all sorts of ailments when they do no such thing. In some cases, false labeling of dietary supplements and pills can cause a consumer physical harm. Our lawyers advocate for clients who take these products based on false promises.
Any West Virginia resident who uses a credit card, buys a product online, or purchases a product because of advertising promises has a right to know the information provided will be kept secure, and the product will work as marketed. As technology expands the ways in which consumers make purchases, entertain themselves, and communicate with others; it becomes more and more essential to make sure consumers are protected from predatory or deceptive sales or collection practices. When a consumer suffers a financial harm or physical abuse, the consumer protection department at Paulson & Nace is here to advocate for your rights and correct the wrong.
West Virginia lawyers fight for consumer remedies
Our family of consumer protection lawyers at Paulson & Nace, PLLC, knows the changing technological world and how businesses are trying to take undue advantage of it. We have 40 years of experience working for consumers across the West Virginia region. Our lawyers help if your privacy was violated, your credit was damaged, a collector abused you, or you suffered any harm due to misrepresentations by a seller. In some cases, you may get statutory or punitive damages in addition to compensation for the wrong. To understand and fight for your rights, call 304-741-8079 or submit our online contact form. Our office is located at 3501 Maccorkle Ave SE, Charleston, WV 25304.